The First Day of the Rest of My Life

     As school is approaching, I am feeling a little apprehensive.  A little?  Try a lot.  I haven’t been in school in over 17 years when I finished my first bachelor’s in music education.  Back then I wasn’t happy with the degree I received.  I had no choices and no interests.  I remember I had a conversation with my mom.  She kind of knew that I wasn’t happy.  This was in my sophomore year.  She mentioned about me changing majors.  I was like, to what?  At that point I had done music for over ten years.  For what interested me was  to get out of school safely and quickly.  The only experience I had, besides music competitions, was working in retail.  I wasn’t happy but it was something to fall back on.  

    Back in 2009, I did apply to a graduate program at a local university.  But at that time I was developing a sickness that eventually got me kicked out of school.  I was told to get help and not to go back to class.  I’ve been in therapy for five years developing techniques to handle my anxiety and mania and depression.  Past therapists wanted me to go back to school that I’m too young to retire and live a retired life.  I wasn’t ready.  

    A year a go I had vision that I was working with books, the love of my life.  I wanted to go back to school and study books and be a well known author.  I was just thinking of getting my master’s in library science.  But then I started looking into English with a concentration in creative writing.  I came to a decision on that that is what I wanted to do;  start my academic journey in English with a concentration in creative writing.  

    For all you people who doubt that you’re only good for one thing, get that thought out of your head.  It’s never too late to start over.  Go towards what you’re passionate about.  Remember it’s not a job or a career.  It’s a lifestyle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Just Be.....

Morning Routine for Someone with Bipolar Disorder

Dear Diary: Fear of Loss