My Pursuit of Happiness: Spending Christmas Alone

     Here it is, the 25th of December, where the hustle and bustle of making it home to be with loved ones can be chaotic.  But there are those that are home with loved ones, or should I say, the spirit of loved ones.     That is me.  I have is my dad and my dog.  But we make sure to keep my mother and grandparents in our hearts.

    Even though the holidays is meant for family and friends, there is no need to give up the traditions handed down to you by your parents and grandparents.  So, this is how I celebrated:

    I got up fully rested and went straight to the presents just like a kid, well, like on Christmas morning.  I played Santa and handed my dad his presents and my dog his gifts.  We immediately ripped the wrapping paper off with eyes full of vigor followed by some ummm’s and ohhhh’s and some squeals thrown in between.  I was instantly drawn to my Barnes and Noble Nook e-reader devise and instantly downloaded E.M. Forester’s Maurice which I wanted to read for a while now.  

    I got dressed and took my dog


on a blustering 17 degree walk.  With rosy cheeks we made it through.  But, oh, the fresh air was wonderful to breathe in and out making everything seem so clear.  With Pepe, my yellow lab retriever mix, our routine every morning is a stop, sniff, squirt while I stand to observe the scope of the imagination and splendor.  I enjoy moments like that, where I stand outside of life and observe what might be.  

    Well, it’s back indoors where I decided to put on a full face of makeup.  Why not?  It’s Christmas, for Pete’s Sake.  Now who is Pete, I ask?  It’s the sake of a man named Pete.  That’s all I know.  My dad at this time was sawing the logs along with Pepe, while watching Hallmark Christmas movies.  And yes those movies are about real life.  Not every movie is based on a town with the name Christmas in it.  But anyway, what was I going to say? Oh yes…preparing the Christmas feast.  

    First was mixing up a mixture of margarine, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  This is to be smeared on the outside of an already rinsed off turkey breast.  I put in some water to keep the bird hydrated.  And in to the oven to goes for 3 hours.  Then I fixed the sides of stuffing, potato, onions, and butternut squash.  We toasted the spread with some apple cider and ended it with some homemade pumpkin pie.  

    But what I wanted to say can’t really be said in words but what is can be said through emotions.  Don’t forget about the traditions and live life with the fullest intention.  Buy a couple ot  things for yourself and wrap them.  Have a tree.  Have candles in the windows.  Have a whole spread or just a turkey and a couple of your favorites.  Don’t forget the pumpkin pie.  Have your loved ones in your mind by doing this for them and doing this for yourself.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Deleted Social Media For Two Months and This Is What Happened

Morning Routine for Someone with Bipolar Disorder

To Just Be.....